The History of Allegranti Enterprise
The Port of Leghorn began in the XVI century and had been used by the Medici Dynasty as a shelter for fishing boats at the Port of Pisa. After the collapse of the Repubblica di Pisa, the village "labronico" was acquired from the Repubblica di
Genova and was subsequently sold to the Granducato di Firenze who took over the management of the facility. This began the first shipping and transportation
business and a new commercial enterprise was born.
In 1919 the Allegranti Family became the first family enterprise offering "shuttle service" into Leghorn to load and unload goods for navigation companies. They
accomplished this through the use of one dozen navicelli (small boats used for the transport of goods) and a hard working crew of rowers.
In those early times the boats didn't want to risk berthing at the docks. In fact,
because of the shallow waters and the lack of mooring space in the harbor, they preferred to moor in the entrance of the harbor itself, waiting for the shuttles to load and unload the goods.
Business for the Allegranti's grew sharply, and importation and exportation
continued to increase in number, volume and kind.
In the 1930, due to the continued evolution of the Port of Leghorn it becomes necessary to build a Porto Nuovo (new port).
In 1966 the Allegranti Enterprise, with the entrance of the son Eugenio changed the name to Eugenio Allegranti International Freight Forwarders.
Under the new manager many things changed. In the span of few years the
Allegranti Enterprise offered a new and varied range of services and began to
orient itself towards new business ventures offering transports on rubber,
service endowments, ship supply and the capability to embark via Northern Europe.
In the half of the years 70 the enterprise has expanded to include offices in
Genova, La Spezia, Carrara and Ravenna and an assembling yard in Leghorn with. 8.000 MQ of covered warehouses and 6.000 MQ truck parking.